Re: using winapi in gtk

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Tim Evans wrote:

Daniel K. O. wrote:
Allin Cottrell wrote:

Personally, I use the native win32 file open/save dialogs in the win32 port of my gtk app, because they are familiar to Windows users while the gtk versions are not.

Unfortunately it freezes the rest of the GTK gui while the user doesn't close the dialog. If it's a networking program, this is usually not acceptable.

I get around this by calling GetOpenFileName (or similar) in a new
thread and passing the results back to the gtk mainloop using g_idle_add.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is here. Do you mean the Windows file dialog is modal? If so, is that not fairly sensible behavior? ("You said you want to open or save a file; please complete or cancel this thought before we attempt to do anything else.")

Allin Cottrell