Re: How to enter a floating-point number ?

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 12:54:20AM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:

The parsers i've done go forwards and backwards, so you can
use the backspace key. If you change a character midway in the
number, the parser just rescans the entire string (as it does
for all keypresses) and allows or disallows that change,
because it remembers the previous entry.

I understand this; it's what I tried and found annoying.
It doesn't allow to move decimal point by adding a new one
first and removing the old one later, the same for signs of
the whole number and of its exponent, deletion of exponent
char by char starting with the `e', and probably other
things that have non-numbers as their intermediate steps.

If you just type numbers it can be OK, but if you want to
fiddle with them you have to think about the Approved
Editing Procedure instead of just doing anything feasible
that changes the current number to the one you want there --
or else the thing starts beeping on you like mad.

Yeti

--
Do not use tab characters. Their effect is not predictable.