Re: gnome and pthreads

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 11:30, Frank W. Miller wrote:
OK, I went and installed everything on my Red Hat disks that evenly
remotely looks like it might be related to Gnome/GTK/GDK development
including the two you mentioned, and still no dice.  Any other suggestions?

I think you're still missing something.  Is glib2-devel install?  (rpm
-qi glib2-devel)

I would go to apt.freshrpms.net, download and install apt, and then do:
apt-get update
apt-get install gtk2-devel glib2-devel

Failing that, I would get the src.rpm file for the gtk2, atk, pango, and
glib2 packages from the fedora core sources and then rebuild them for
rh9 (rpmbuild --rebuild glib2-xxx.src.rpm) and then install those.  This
way you'll have the latest gtk2/glib2, but you won't have to deal with
the mess of conflicts between installed packages and installed libraries
you build from scratch from tarballs.

If you do build all from source, it would probably be best (in this
specific case) to configure each package to install to /usr (./configure
--prefix=/usr).  Otherwise you will have problems building gtk apps
(conflicts with already installed libs).

Michael

Michael

FM

todd wrote:

Frank W. Miller wrote:

Thank you for the guidance, I apologize for being a Gnome newbie.  I
guess I was hoping that this stuff would just work under Red Hat 9
since its a fairly mature distribution if not a little bit dated
now.  I guess not.

[fwmiller localhost fwmiller]$ echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH

[fwmiller localhost fwmiller]$ locate gthread-2.0.pc
[fwmiller localhost fwmiller]$

I'm assuming this means that I don't have these things installed.
Just for grins, heres the output of my gnome-config command

[fwmiller localhost gnome]$ gnome-config --modversion
gnome-libs-1.4.1.2
[fwmiller localhost gnome]$ pkg-config --modversion gthread
1.2.10

So, three questions. First if I need to upgrade, how big a deal is
that, I have not done it before and really dont want to hassle with
it much.  Second, what would be the procedure for getting threading
to work with these versions?  Third, if I have to link with the newer
versions, I'm assuming that anyone who wants to run this program will
have to have that stuff installed on there system correct?

Thanks again,
FM