Quick gtkextra question

I've created a window with a canvas which I'd like to use for displaying information to the user. After
creating the canvas I use the gtk_plot_canvas_put_text function to write a welcome message. The problem I'm
having is that I can't find any function that will erase the canvas in preparation for the next action. In
the GtkDrawingarea I'm used to simply drawing a rectangle to cover the area but that doesn't work with the
canvas.

Is there a specific way of handling this issue in gtkextra?

Thanks.