Re: GTK+-2.4.0 released

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 16:36, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:

Ctrl-l will being up the text entry.  I have also heard that you can
start typing and it will jump to the file name with the suffix you typed
though I have yet to try this (similar to mozilla's link search).  So by
all means the new chooser is very operable from the keyboard.

Why do I need to press Ctrl-L in the first place?  And the thingie that
pops up after Ctrl-L (which doesn't seem to be an obvious thing to press,
eh?)

Within GNOME, it's the same keyshort cut as in nautilus (L == location)

lacks Tab-completion.

Did you try? (One possibility is that if you are on a slow machine /
slow file system, it might be possible to type faster than it figure out
completions; other than that, I'd think it would be fairly hard
to miss the typeahead completion action. Tab will accept the current
completion)

If I start typing, it won't jump anywhere.  Nothing happens.  OK, I can
press Ctrl-F as everywhere else in GtkTreeView widgets, then it will.

Typeahead without pressing C-f is planned for a future version, but
no, it isn't there now.

So, by all means it's fully operable from keyboard, but with two times the
number of keypresses I needed in GtkFileSelection.  I vote the latter.
It was a simple, Emacs-style file chooser.  Well, it was ugly, but it
was (and is) _convenient_ to use.

Two times the number of keypresses? how many one-letter files did you
open? :-)

Yes, there is some decrease in convenience for experienced users with
the new file chooser; we've tried to keep that decrease as small as
possible while keeping the operation of the file selector obvious for
non-hacker users.

Regards,
                                                Owen