Re: Accessible Labels

Russell Shaw (rjshaw netspace net au):

Billy Biggs wrote:
I'm working on an application which sometimes uses non-editable
GtkTextView widgets in place of GtkLabel to better accomodate screen
readers.  Unfortunately, this breaks on themes with a background
pixmap, as you end up with "labels" that have a flat colour
background.

On themes with a background pixmap, there is a (usually gray) box
below the entry.  Another disadvantage of this technique is that the
entry can get keyboard focus, which sometimes seems strange.

Maybe you could pack a GtkStatusbar to the bottom of the dialog.

  Do status bars have special status in screen readers?  If so it might
have the correct behaviour, but I would be worried about putting a
status bar in the middle of the widget, and I do not think that it makes
sense visually in a dialog to have a status bar below the OK/Cancel
buttons.

  -Billy