Re: raster output to Ghostscript

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:54:46 -0500
"Boncek, John" <jboncek hunter com> wrote:

I am working on a large embedded application the current version of
which generates printed output into a framebuffer-like area of memory as
a bitmap of 8 colors.  A custom print driver then sends that image to
the printer as a page.

We are porting this application to a new processor with Linux as the OS
and planning to use the off-the-shelf HPIJS driver from HP which accepts
PostScript.  Is there a straightforward way to embed a raster image into
PostScript/GhostScript?  It is not feasible to convert our complicated
graphics and font output in detail into GhostScript.

More generally, how does one use PostScript to print a bitmap or other
raster image?

convert will convert any bitmap into a PS or EPS image externally. You can
use GnomePrint to generate PS files from pixmaps quite simply. Pixmaps can
be built from memory using standard library functions of GTK (GDK, more
correctly).

John