Re: Driving an animation in a widget

 Do you know when the widget is no longer needed ? Or can you find that out?

  If so, you can keep a reference to the widget and destroy it yourself later
at the point which you no longer need it.

Harring Figueiredo

--- Braden McDaniel <braden endoframe com> wrote:
I'm writing a Mozilla plug-in which includes a GTK widget. The widget is
an OpenGL visualization using GtkGLExt. The animation is driven using
the following sequence:

     1. one-shot timeout callback (added with g_timeout_add) initiates
        update of widget state
     2. gtk_widget_queue_draw(my_widget);
     3. while (gtk_events_pending()) { gtk_main_iteration(); }
     4. goto 1

This is interacting badly with Mozilla. I get a crash on exit because
the widget may be destroyed in the middle of processing the timeout
callback.

What I need is the ability to have a user-defined event that can simply
fall on the floor if the widget has been destroyed. Does GTK provide
something like this?

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden endoframe com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden jabber org>