Newbie & timing issue

As a newbie to gtk+ and a little less of a newbie to GUI programming, but I
do know a bit about C, please accept the following question as it is intended.

I need to develop a program to run on Windows that warns users that there is so
much time before they have to close down another program they are currently using.

Between warnings this warning program's form must not appear on the screen. ie
The warning will popup and display for a predefined period of time and then
disappear till next time.

Can this be done with gtk+ ?

Now the timing issue is something I can handle if this was a console program so
I am asking if a gtk+ created form can be made to appear and disappear on
requests from the program.

---

Regards,
Alf Stockton    www.stockton.co.za

Politicians are the same all over.  They promise to build a bridge even
where there is no river.
        -- Nikita Khrushchev