Symbology and annotations "on top" of my images.

Hi all.

I plan on using a drawing area widget to display images where
the user may want to place some symbology and textual annotations
at various locations on the image. I am wondering how GTK / GdkPixbuf
will facilitate this.

Ideally, I would like to treat the symbology and text annotations as
"layers" where the user would be able to toggle on and off the display of
the symbology/annotations, and possibly drag them to different positions.

Does GTK / GdkPixbuf allow me to do something like this? If not, what would
be an approach to take?

thanks again.
amit.