Re: Fork with gtk+-2.0

"Alphex K." schrieb:

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:04:15 +0300
"Alphex K." <alphex crew org ru> wrote:

pid_t pid;
pid = fork();

if ((pid=fork())==0)
     execlp("/bin/xvkbd", "-geometry 800x185-0-0", NULL);
else
     g_print("Fork failed\n");
}

You've left out a lot of details. You need to register a singal handler for
SIGCHLD. If you want to communitate with the child process, you have to setup
pipes etc.

It's better to use one of g_spawn_async or g_spawn_async_with_pipes or
g_spawn_command_line_async. They take care of a lot of the details for you.

Roland
So. I'm think that in my code I can use standart unix non named pipes, if
I create it,ofcouse I'm must use GLib functions to get platform independency,
but I'm don't need for it ;-)

 I also have the same problems with fork I only need native unix/linux
fork like done the last 20 years.
 I figured out that the fork system call does not work with threads I
dont know why so long I found
 no reason what happens. If I do not start the thread the same code
works well. Using the system call
 I have no problem to start a second task but then I dont have the
 process id to send a signal when the
 first process exits. I also do not need pipes and stuff like this I
communicate with shared memory.
 By this way setting up named pipes for sync communications is really
easy and do not need calls I dont know
 what happens behind

--
Alphex Kaanoken
Senior developer of Crew IT research labs

R=I+S  Rapp Informatik Systeme GmbH
       Rosenbühlstr. 24
       D-89182 Bernstadt
       Tel:  +49 (0)7348-7755
       Fax:  +49 (0)7348-6086
E-MAIL  mailto: guenther rapp-informatik de
WEB             www.rapp-informatik.de

PS:
Senden Sie mir bitte keine Anhänge in Microsoft (.DOC, .PPT) Format
Bitte lesen Sie
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachmentsi.de.html
Please don't send me any attachment in Microsoft (.DOC, .PPT) format
please
Read http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html