How to put something in system tray?

I've been using gaim for a long time now. It is written with gtk and compiles for both windows and linux. I noticed that whether gaim runs in KDE, Gnome, XFCE4, Windows or other os/window managers it always manages to successfully put a button in the system tray (notification area). How is this done? Is it even done using GTK or something else? Is it possible to do it in a program written in pygtk? I'm thinking I don't want to write this project in C because it will just make it more difficult. Thanks in advance.

-Scott