Re: GtkHandleBox

Grace Yeung wrote:

I am using a GtkHandleBox in my GUI and when I click on the handle to
try to snap it off the GUI my mouse freezes and I have to use keyboard
controls to kill my GUI.  Any clue as to what the problem is?  Thanks!

I suppose this behaviour occurs in your own application only and not
within other installed GTK+ applications which use a GtkHandleBox?

I have no clue about the cause but would recommend to start designing
that particular part of your UI again from scratch. Most likely you made
a serious (but not necessarily obvious) mistake in creating, ordering,
grouping or configuring container or children widgets. Apparently GTK+
gets deeply confused by something, so that it even blocks the mouse.
Maybe this is a strange side effect of a NULL pointer which becomes
effective inside GDK due to some buggy widget definitions.

I recommend using Glade to build a template of a GtkHandleBox with some
widget content in it. Glade usually creates correct and working C source
code. It'll probably be difficult to make Glade create erroneous code
when dealing with containers like GtkHandleBoxes and their contents. If
done so, you can then look at the working code example to maybe find out
what you did wrong when inserting your GtkhandleBox. Or you just take
the code created by Glade, which may be easier anyway.

If the problem isn't limited to your own application but occurs in all
running GTK+ applicatiitions on your system, then it should obviously be
a more global problem. Likely an erroneous GTK+ installation.

If you're using a sophisticated GTK+ theme then there's also a tiny
chance that it's buggy and causes those freezes when dealing with
GtkHandleBoxes. If so, try using a less sophisticated GTK+ theme.

On which platform does this problem occur, btw? X, Windows (XP or
non-XP) or MacOS?