Re: win32: use ms default fonts for menus and such... need a pango expert

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 19:38, Evan Martin wrote:
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:37:00PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
I'm interested, using the default win32 fonts for all menus and such, as
this will look much more familiar to win32 users, than the GTK defaults.

Allin Cottrell has written code to do exactly this, see:

http://www.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/gtk_win32/#winfont

The code works fine in it's GTK1 version, but the GTK2 version fails (at
least on my Win XP machine),
although Allin reported that it works on his systems (Win 98 and XP) ok.

This probably belongs in your GTK theme, not in your application.  I
know I tried to do something like this when I was writing gtk-nativewin
(now part of gtk-wimp: http://gtk-wimp.sourceforge.net/).  Looking at
their screenshots, it appears they actually may use Windows fonts
already.

I'm using Gaim and The Gimp (2.0pre) on windows 2000 with the gtk-wimp
theme and it works really well. I've only had two problems so far.
First, if you change color schemes (as close as non-xp windows versions
get to application theming) while a gtk-wimp application is running, it
won't update with the new colors. Second, gaim has a list in its
configuration dialog where you can choose what kind of smiley theme you
want (tiny icons to replace :), ;-), :(, etc...), and it's very hard to
read the currently selected theme's information. I'm not sure if this is
specific to my machine or a bug in gtk-wimp.

You can get gaim with or without gtk (for a smaller download if you
already have gtk installed). You might want to look at their installer
that includes gtk since it installs and configures the wimp theme
without any user intervention.

hth