Parallel installation worries...

    To put the question straight without any useless `because's' and
what not:

I'm writing `newlibrary' which I hope to link against glib-2.2.3.

newlibrary will provide an api to `monolithic_gui' which already
links against glib/gtk+-1.3.5 devel snapshot.

 +--------------------+
 | monolithic_gui     |
+-----------+  +--------------+
| gtk 1.3.5 |--| newlibrary   |
+-----------+  +--| glib 2.2.3    |
    |             +---------------+
    +                     |
     \____ conflics ?____/
      or wierd behaviour ?

Anyone know how safe this is ?
(maybe some runtime linkers can screw me up here ?)

Maybe (probably) it will "choke" whenever `monolithic_gui' uses
`1.3.5' apis to operate on objects provided by `newlibrary' ?
(like g_object_ref(G_OBJECT(newlibraryobject)) ? )

(I think I read a doc that Havoc wrote about parallel installs,
don't remember if it covered this...)

Thankyou all in advance,
                                            -Tristan

PS:
    upgrading monolithic_gui to gtk+-2.x is out of the question
(maybe due for a rewrite over this summer, but you know, baby steps
need to work for this or, it'll never get done).

Oh, and as its 5:00 friday...
so I might not be mailing 'till monday ;-)