Q: how to stop a drawingarea from being drawn?

Hi All,

I have an empty drawingarea (live_display.image) who's xwinid I pass on to SDL:

  // set the env var for SDL to embed in
  live_display.xwinid=GDK_WINDOW_XWINDOW(live_display.image->window);
  sprintf (env, "SDL_WINDOWID=%d", live_display.xwinid);
  putenv(env);

  // Initialize the SDL library (video subsystem)
  if ( SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_NOPARACHUTE) == -1) {
    fprintf(stderr,"Couldn't initialize SDL video subsystem\n");
    return(0);
  }

That works *perfectly*. However, every resize of its toplevel parent sends a "draw" signal that clears the drawingarea (because it's empty) and after that SDL refreshes it. That causes an anoying flickering. I can connect to that signal, but since the signal function returns void, how do I prevent that from happening?

TIA
Johan