Re: GTK not good for newbies?

There are a couple of GTK+ books, but they cover GTK+ 1.x, AFAIK.

The GTK+ 1.x books aren't too bad, even when your using 2.x. I found they gave
a higher level discussion of GTK which was good, something that the API just
doesn't bother with and rightly so.

The one problem for "newbies" who are new to GTK and glib (like myself),
is figuring out how to do things the glib way. Right now I said, screw
that I'm going with:
    fprintf(stderr, "ERROR...");
    exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
Rather then rewriting my old code to use
    g_critical();
I wasted a bunch of time trying to covert old stuff to the glib way, so
the libc way of doing things is staying in this project.

If it ain't broken.... ;-)

Ah... what do you mean? Your making me nervous. Is there some way of giving
library precedence? Like having:
        #include <gtk/gtk.h>
        #include <gtk/gtkgl.h>
        #include <GL/gl.h>
        #include <GL/glu.h>

        #include <string.h>
        #include <stdio.h>
        #include <stdlib.h>
        #include <math.h>
Or am I thinking about setting up your $PATH....

One documentation section that I think is lacking is docs on signals. The
general usage and implementation docs are there, but I haven't found a
complete list of the available signals that can be connected to each
widget.

Every widget has a list of changed/added signals. See the "Signal
Prototypes" heading in every widgets' chapter. So most signals can be found
in the GtkWidget chapter, while e.g. GtkButton has only the signals that it
adds.

Ok, where is that at?  Could be point me to an example, thanks.

--Matthew