Re: GTK not good for newbies?

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:48:40AM -0700, Matthew A Tobiasz wrote:
Hello gtk-app-devel-list !

I just started using GTK for the first time about four days ago. I'm working
on doing scientific visualization using OpenGL (another thing I just started
learning) and I come from a C/Java background (notice C comes first).

GTK+ and OpenGL? That's quite a learning curve! :-)

Gtk was what I wanted to go with (using OpenGL via GtkGLExt).

So four days in, what can I say about using GTK?  Well there are docs out
there:
      GTK+ / Gnome Application Development
      http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/ggad.html
And tutorials:
      GTK+ 2.0 Tutorial
      http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/index.html

Don't forget the gtk-demo app that comes with GTK+. It shows different
kinds of widgets, _with source code_. Very handy indeed.

There are a cuople of GTK+ books, but they cover GTK+ 1.x, AFAIK.

The one problem for "newbies" who are new to GTK and glib (like myself), is
figuring out how to do things the glib way. Right now I said, screw that I'm
going with:
      fprintf(stderr, "ERROR...");
      exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
Rather then rewriting my old code to use
      g_critical();
I wasted a bunch of time trying to covert old stuff to the glib way, so the
libc way of doing things is staying in this project.

If it ain't broken.... ;-)

Once I got through the initial learning curve, things aren't so bad.
There is a point that needs to be made about the available API.  I've
used the Java API (so that's what I'm juxtaposing against), now the thing
that sucks about the GTK API is having to go through a bunch of web nodes
to find what it is your looking for. A centralized function list would be
great.  Right now I use the GTK Object Hierarchy:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/ch01.html as my "centralized"
location for searching.  I might just be ignorant here and such a thing
does exist, but as of Tue Feb 17 00:20:59 MST 2004 I haven't found it.

The reference manuals come with an index. I think that's what you're
looking for?

One documentation section that I think is lacking is docs on signals. The
general usage and implementation docs are there, but I haven't found a
complete list of the available signals that can be connected to each
widget.

Every widget has a list of changed/added signals. See the "Signal
Prototypes" heading in every widgets' chapter. So most signals can be found
in the GtkWidget chapter, while e.g. GtkButton has only the signals that it
adds.

HTH, Roland.

--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email