Re: Java Versus gtk

Hello,

I'm considering a project which will run on multiple platforms.

For that purpose, I would prefer third option that was not listed, Qt.
http://www.trolltech.com
I am using Qt X11 free in addition to GTK+. I like Qt more because
of its native object oriented way of thinking.

Funny, I like GTK+ because of the same reason :-)

GTK+'s object oriented approach reminds us that "OO programming" is
not "OO programming languages" and exposes the guts of OO programming
frameworks.

I don't mean to put down Qt though, As someone else said, I /prefer/ "C",
I actually prefer to work with the program's guts exposed although I
wouldn't go as far as writing OO programs in assembly code ;-D

Gtk+ might have a "1 up" in respect with language bindings though
(although I'm not quite sure what the future has in store there).

And the portability tradeoff is basicly: "Java runs on a JVM" so no
tedious recompiling and whatnot (but you dont get to sit directly on
your machine's hardware without useing non-portable native libraries).

Cheers,
                    -Tristan