Re: Java Versus gtk

 John,

 I had the same dilema about one year ago. The reason I chose GTK was that java
(at that time) did not support file lokcing -- Now, with the nio package, they
seem to support - you might try and see if it is not buggy like in Java 1.4.1
!!)

 The other reason was that the GUI runs a bit more smoth with GTK and that I
needed to do low level bit manipulation (java sucks for this.)

  GTK has some issues also -- most of the stuff are VERY linux oriented (with
all good reasons) and implementation of some things in Windoze is quite
different from Linux (Check GIOChannel for example).

   I gues that, all in all, it comes to language preference -- I like
programming in C.

   Harring.

--- "John J. Boyer" <director chpi org> wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering a project which will run on multiple platforms. To begin
with, it should run on both Windows and Linux. Now I know about the
development package from Dropline and mingw. Since Java will also run on
multiple platforms, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using
Java versus gtk+?

Thanks,

--
John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.