How to write a simple flowcharting program?

I want to write a very simple, integrated flowcharting program as part of a
larger project. I only require basic charts, no where near the capability of
the famous DIA or Kivio. It also has to look integrated, for simplicity for
the end user.

I am wondering whether to use a gtkfixed container with buttons as the
elements or maybe use a drawing area and pixmaps. How would you
select/drag/delete the pixmaps once you have drawn them onto a background? I
want to make it portable, no gnomecanvas, etc is out of the question
unfortunately.

I appreciate any advise.

Thanks,
Kim