GValue string memory management

-
when a GValue is holding a string (set by g_value_take_string(), which
tells the GValue to take over the responsibility of freeing the string),
is there a way to tell it to give up ownership?  Something like a
g_value_give_string() which returns the string and then tells the GValue
that it is no longer responsible for freeing the string (like, it thinks
its a static string?)

Alternatively, how would I just hack such a function up?  I'm going to
destroy the GValue right after I give up the string, so the GValue
doesn't need to be usable after wards.  I could just use
g_value_get_string(), and then tell the GValue someway to *not* free the
string when I use g_value_unset().

-Thanks
charlie