key binding question

Running application such as vim-gtk, mozilla or dia linked against gtk+ libs I experiance problems with keybindings (combinations with ALT_L key don't show). This is not a X11 problem since application linked against other libs such as motif/lesstif or simple xterm show the correct keys when pressed.

The constellation: The application runs on a HP-UX 10.20 and is linked against gtk+1.2 (I know, it is old). The HP is accessed through an X-Terminal running a brand new Linux debian sarge with all up to date.

This is especially bad since I use a swiss german keyboard layout which has some importand characters to be accessed with the ALT_L key.

I think this is a configuration problem of gtk+, isn't it?

How can I configure the gtk+ key bindings?

Thanks a lot

 Martin