Re: gtk_file_chooser page faults (win32)

You can download Microsoft's Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit (free) from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=272BE09D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en.

You basically get the `cl' compiler and `link', the linker -- and
the .NET Framework and CLR. No GUI apps, just command-line stuff.

Yes, but at least when I last checked, you don't get the Win32 API
headers or import libraries, nor import libraries for the msvcrt.dll C
library (runtime), which is what is bundled with the operating
system. Nor is there any guarantee, AFAIK, that the C headers
included with this compiler, which correspond to the static C library
that they include with it, even match what's in msvcrt.dll.

All in all, I would say that Microsoft giving away their compiler for
free is very interesting, but not quite enough yet to make me consider
using it instead of gcc (assuming one could make libtool work with
it). And I really would like somebody who understands lawyerspeak to
read the license and make sure there are no clauses preventing the use
of the toolkit to build Free or Open Source software, or software that
competes with Microsoft's products, for instance...

--tml