linux-gate

What is linux-gate? I have some trouble with an application I'm building (it uses a huge amount of memory on
my Mandrake 10, but not on Mandrake 9), and with ldd I can see that it loads a different set of libs on the
two machines. In Mdk10 it loads a number of 'extra' libs, that I can't really see the purpose of:

linux-gate
libXrandr
libXinerama
libfontconfig
libz
libexpat

The linux-gate one caught my attention because it doesn't have a file reference and there's no file of that
name anywhere. This prbably means that it is something I configured into the kernel (2.6.3-7mdk), but what?

Anyway, is any of this likely to cause a gnome app to grow explosively?

/jan