Re: Size of application is huge

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 04:39:42PM +0100, Andersen, Jan wrote:
Thanks for your good advice. I had already done part of this before I wrote to the list,
but I am going to dig deeper into it next week. What I have seen so far is that immediately
after the step in the program where I create/display etc a notebook, the program grows about
8MB; this is before I add anything to the notebook. I find it hard to imagine what I should
have done differently from what I have done.

I don't know how you measure the memory usage, but I suspect that you do it
incorrectly. When you create a new tab you're also creating a new thread,
right? Now, in linux threads appear as seperate processes each
using the same amount of memory. But of course all the threads share this
memory--that's what the thread concept comprises.

When I start your application I get 40 new processes each "using" approx.
8MB. 40*8MB = 320MB. Is it that what you mean?

But, when measuring the overall memory usuage before starting your app and
when it's running I really just get a difference of about 4MB.

The growth of memory consumption nevertheless is certainly another problem
you need to resolve.

HTH
Claudio