gtk-based sip client "locking up"

Greetings,

I'm new to programming with GTK and new to this list. I apologize in advance if this is a simple question and I just havent dug hard enough to find the answer. I've been through a number of programming docs and scanned some mailing lists to no avail so far.

I'm writing a SIP client for Linux. It has a command line interface currently but I've recently begun writing a GNOME GUI front-end. I started with Glade and had reasonable success, i.e. I got it to where is was making outbound calls with decent UI interactions. I then noticed a problem. About half the time, when I started to make a call, i.e. when I was sending the first few messages of the SIP dialog, the GUI would "lock up" on me. What this means is that I have a couple of notebook tabs and some entry fields on each tab. There are also a couple of buttons. Its pretty simple. By lock up, I mean that at some point the GUI just stops updating the various widgets. If I hit the tabs, it seems like its trying to switch between them but I just get white rectangles and no labels. The program does not seem to recover from this.

I puzzled over this for a week or so and then thought it might be some strange thing with Glade so I went and rewrote the whole thing from scratch by hand. I have the same behaviour from this version of the GUI. I've come the conclusion that there must be something I am either doing or not doing that causes this and I'm hoping someone can help me with a pointer in the right direction!

Thanks,
FM

BTW, screenshots (if they will help) are at

http://www.cornfed.com/images/cornfedsipua/main.gif

http://www.cornfed.com/images/cornfedsipua/local.gif