GTK app misbehaving. (main thread blocking)

Hey guys. I'm really new to GTK+-2.0 application development, so please bear with me. ;)

I've got a button and a status-bar. I connect a callback to the button's 'clicked' event. The callback does A) a lot of work unrelated to GTK, and B) updates the status-bar with the current progress.

In my mind, this should work. Except, while the callback is doing its work, the main GTK window is completely frozen. The status bar doesn't get updated, and the application window doesn't redraw. (If I cover the window then reveal it, it stays blank.)

So my question is this: What is the correct way of doing bunches of work when a signal is emitted without locking up the main thread?

Thanks a bunch.
--Alex