Re: gtk-timeout-add (again): how to change the speed?

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 10:30 -0700, Peter Rowat wrote:
 My application continuously displays incoming data, so I
use g-timeout-add to continuously refresh the screen. Often the user
will want this as fast as possible, sometimes at a fixed speed, and
sometimes the speed will need to be changed.

There does not appear to be a clean way to change the speed. Presumably
this could be done by changing the value of "interval"
in "g_timeout_add(interval, function, data)".

Possible work-around: quit the main loop with "gtk-main-quit()" then
call { timeout-add; gtk-main(); } again with new value for interval.

Is there a better way?

-- Thanks, Peter Rowat

You don't need to call gtk_main_quit(), you can call g_source_remove()
to remove an existing timeout source (so long as you saved the return
value from g_timeout_add()):

gint id;

id = g_timeout_add (1000, do_something, NULL);
g_source_remove (id);
id = g_timeout_add (100, do_something, NULL);

--
Peace,

    Jim Cape
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "We still name our military helicopter gunships after victims
     of genocide. Nobody bats an eyelash about that: Blackhawk.
     Apache. And Comanche. If the Luftwaffe named its military
     helicopters Jew and Gypsy, I suppose people would notice."
       -- Noam Chomsky, "Propaganda and the Public Mind"