I wanna override gtk_shell_menu_activate_item method in my app!!

Hi, all,
I'm doing a heuristics based panel menu in gnome. Which displays frequently used apps first, when clicking on downarrow at the end of the submenu, it displays the full submenu. (somewhat similar to windows xp). I'm doing it to contribute as an enhancement bug.
The problem is :
1. We don't have a downarrow in a submenu, so I added one with a shell_menu_append.
2. but the problem is If I click on the downarrow and connect the signal with a method which displays the full submenu, It doesn't work out. This is because whenever a gtk menu item is activated, the menu is destroyed automatically, which I don't want.
So I tried many things. Like I hacked gtk+ with changing a line; gtk_shell_menu_activate_item is called with last argument FALSE to prevent force quit of the menu, for my menu_item. This helped me. But as I guess, this is not acceptable by gtk+ hackers. So somebody plz help me with, I'm ready to subclass the menu widget, I have already done that. But I don't know that to change that single line, where should I don that in my app. Maybe init or what? which method I shall override.
g_signal_connect func returning false does not not help. neither g_signal_block coz thats all in gtk+ internal signals. Calling directly gtkj_shell_menu_acctivate_item in my app with last arg false won't help, coz the gtk_+ internal method is called first>
Somebody plz help me.

Do you Yahoo!?