Background images in window

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, so please forgive me if I'm asking the wrong
questions! I was wondering how I can make an image in a window a background
image, so that I can superimpose another widget on top of it. I have an
image that I want to use in a splash screen and I want to put a progress bar
on top of it to make it look like it's doing something constructive.  I've
got the image rendered in a window, but I can't figure out how to add the
progress bar.

I'm also having problems using g_timeout_add so that I can destroy the
splash screen after x-seconds. It appears to refresh the widget rather than
destroy it i.e. every x seconds I will see it flicker.

Thanks for your help!

Chris