Validating a user's edits in a tree view

I have a tree view that has editable cells. I validate what the user's edit (specifically, not letting them leave a cell empty) in the edited signal handler.

When the validation fails I want to start to edit the cell again. However, doing this inside the signal callback raises "(cspassword:8442): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktreeviewcolumn.c: line 3229 (_gtk_tree_view_column_start_editing): assertion `tree_column->editable_widget == NULL' failed"

What can I do? What do most people do for validating tree cells being edited?

Thanks.

Chris Seaton