RE: Balloons

gtk_tooltips_set_tip (tooltips, button, "This is button 1", NULL);

Hope this helps.

No, I need exactly balloon widget, something like this:

[Widget]
      \
        \
         ---------------
         |  Some text)  |
         ---------------

Which I can show/hide where I want and when I want

Are you talking about the balloon's you see on Windows XP system tray?
For example when you add/remove USB hardware?  There are two things
here:

There is an API to do it in the system tray:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc
/platform/shell/reference/structures/notifyicondata.asp

There is ALSO an API to do it all other times.  These are known as
Balloon Tips:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc
/platform/commctls/tooltip/usingtooltips.asp#tooltip_sample_balloon

NOTE: The tray icon API only supports balloon tips in version 5 of
Shell32.dll (usually on XP and above).  Also this is not supported under
the current version of MinGW.

GTK AFAIK doesn't support balloon tips.  If you want them you will need
to do it yourself.