Pure GTK vs Gnome

Hi,

I have played around in the past with creating simple GUIs with straight
GTK and via use of the Gnome libraries to make more "gnome" orientated
look and feel/default behaviour apps.

I am finally about to embark on a journey to develop a fairly
sizable/serious purpose GUI application but I am having a difficult time
deciding upon exactly where to draw the line between using straight GTK
or making my app depend upon Gnome.

I personally use Gnome as my desktop environment, and don't see that
changing so to me personally Gnome dependencies are not too difficult to
cope with. However doing this would make porting/cross compiling to
Windows of my app a lot more difficult/messy if I so desire (quite
possible).

I'm sure many other application developers have faced a similar
choice/decision when starting out designing their applications so am
wondering what their views are and what conclusions they reached about
this subject.

At present the only known "Gnome" dependency I know I will have unless
another solution presents it self is against the gnome canvas. However
from reading other mailing lists there appears to be a "degnomified"
version existing somewhere that builds under Win32 somewhere....

Any suggestions? How have you made this decision for your application?

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbairn.