Re: valgrind and gnome libs

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 11:09, Allin Cottrell wrote:
I'm in the habit of testing my gtk2 app using valgrind.  When I
compile the app as "plain gtk2" there's no problem with this, but if I
build the program as a gnome app (I have gnome 2.2.2 installed) then
try to test it, valgrind "goes all weird": it alleges a slew of errors
(uninitialized values, invalid reads) relating to the ORbit, linc and
gconf libs and then aborts or crashes.  This doesn't seem to be
specific to my app; I got the same behavior from valgrind running
on, for example, gedit 2.2.2.

Has anyone else seen this?  Anyone know where the problem lies?

Some of them are fixed if you build ORBit with --enable-purify-friendly
(or something like that, look at configure --help to see what the option
is called).

Essentially ORBit doesn't bother to initialize the padding in the IIOP
protocol, so when it calls write() some of the bytes written are
uninitialized.

There may be other problem reports too, you'd have to investigate each
one.

Havoc