valgrind and gnome libs

I'm in the habit of testing my gtk2 app using valgrind.  When I
compile the app as "plain gtk2" there's no problem with this, but if I
build the program as a gnome app (I have gnome 2.2.2 installed) then
try to test it, valgrind "goes all weird": it alleges a slew of errors
(uninitialized values, invalid reads) relating to the ORbit, linc and
gconf libs and then aborts or crashes.  This doesn't seem to be
specific to my app; I got the same behavior from valgrind running
on, for example, gedit 2.2.2.

Has anyone else seen this?  Anyone know where the problem lies?
Thanks.

(Details: gtk-2.2.4, gnome 2.2.2, linux 2.6.0-test5, glibc-2.3.2,
gcc 3.3.1, valgrind 20030725)

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics