Events and Signals

I´m writing an application that receive udp packets. It depending on the kind of info of the packet I show some messages in Gtk_Label.
But now I´d like to add a menu to my application, and I´d like to control the menu with network events.
I was thinking to use ItemFactory to make menu, but I cant image how to control it without mouse or keboard events.
I was taking a look to mailing list and on line documentation but I couldn´t find information to clear this doubt.
It is posible to use gtk_signal_emit() to emulate a keyboard event to manage the menu each time that I receive a network packet?
Any help I´ll thank a lot.

Regards

Ariel Antonio Fritz