Re: GtkEntry problem

 Post that part of you code for use to take a look at it.

 At themoment that you do a g_strdup on it, the fact that it came from a Entry
has nothing to do with it.

 So, I am sure it is not because it is being cause by that.

HArring.

--- Amandip <asangh-1 broadpark no> wrote:
Hi, thank you for your help, but I still cannot get the application to work!
The thing is, that I am parsing the string my_str (gotten from
gtk_entry_get_text) using strtok. And strtok is obviously known to mess
up its argument-string. But my parsing-routine is working good when I
give it strings recieved from scanf etc. And it crashes only when I give
it a string gotten from gtk_entry_get_text (in the callback function of
a GtkEntry-field). The error that occurs seem to be memory related
(malloc etc.)

Can you think of any thing that might be causing this?

Thank you very much,
Amandip

Harring Figueiredo wrote:

 char* my_str = g_strdup(gtk_entry_get_text(_entry));

 // Make SURE you free my_str after you are done

Harring

--- Amandip <asangh-1 broadpark no> wrote:

Hi,

I'm writing an application which needs some text-input from a little
GtkEntry (about 10 chars). After I retrieve this string of characters
(with gtk_entry_get_text placed in a callback-function), I pass thiss
string on to another function, which I have written, for further
processing etc...
The problem is obviously that gtk_entry_get_text returns

" a pointer to the contents of the widget as a string. This string
points to internally allocated storage in the widget and must not be
freed, modified or stored."

so this causes my application to crash, because I try to modify this
string.

How can I retrieve the contents from a GtkEntry-field, and store and
modify the contents as I see fit?

Appreciate any help,
thanks,
Amandip