Re: Iterating through children

Russell Shaw wrote:

After trying to shape my app around the generated glade C, i found it
was much better to just forget the glade C and use glade-xml, so you
can maintain pointers to your widgets however you want. You'll be
happier;)

Some users (like me for instance) may be unhappy about two things:

1. additional references to external libraries, which
   a) might not be installed per se on every user's machine
   b) potentially cause a (slightly) higher resource consumption at
      runtime.
   Also there are more files to ship / install your application with.

2. License issues: libglade is not LGPL (like GTK) but "infects" your
   code with GPL, thus limiting your freedom of choice of how to
   publish your application (if you intend to do that).

I believe it's important to consider that since not everyone intends to
(always) produce GPL'ed software using GTK and Glade.

<OFFTOPIC+UNIMPORTANT>
A rather theoretical question which just came up to me is, whether an
application using the XML-file built by Glade but NOT using libglade
(one could use an own / other evaluator) would become GPL-infected, too?
The Glade license explicitly frees the source code from GPLification.
Does "source code" cover the XML file generated by Glade as well?
</OFFTOPIC+UNIMPORTANT>