Re: GTK-Function with pathnamestring???

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 01:31:31PM -0700, Pawel S. Veselov wrote:
                      Hello, Christian !

[ This is not GTK ]

argv[0] is always a pointer to a executable. If it's relative, use getcwd(),
to append to get full pathname.

This is not entirely correct. argv[0] is not any different than any of
the other argv[] elements. It is simply whatever was passed
to the exec system call as argv[0], and it can be totally arbitrary.
argv[0] is not a 100% reliable method of process image path
determination, though it is true that it will work in many cases.

Furthermore, in the cases that argv[0] is not arbitrary, it will almost
never be relative. It will either be absolute, or it will be within
one of the directories in $PATH. The upshot is that all you can do
with argv[0] is pass it to exec and hope for the best.