simple application not responding to global change of theme

Hi,

I'm writing a simple gtk application and I would like it to respond correctly when the user changes themes using the gnome theme manager.

By this, I mean I want my app to change it's appearance when the user changes the global theme, similar to the way in which gtk apps like gnumeric and evolution do.

Currently the app doesn't respond to the theme change, and just retains the look and feel of the default style.

The same behaviour can be found in most simple examples such as:

http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/ch-gettingstarted.html#SEC-HELLOWORLD

Using the garnome build of gtk 2.2.0 and compiling with

gcc -Wall -g hello.c -o helloworld `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`

works fine. However when I use the Gnome theme manager to change the global theme, the style of the button and other widgets are not updated.

If I manually specify the GTK2_RC_FILES environment variable, then it loads the theme correctly. It also uses the correct theme if I manually call gtk_rc_parse at the start of main.

What i'd like to know is, what do I have to do in order to make my application change theme correctly?

Regards

imron