Restoring window positions

I'd like to be able to restore the arrangement of the various
windows of my application upon the next session. So far I've been
using gtk_window_move() after showing the window which results in
the window first flickering up at the position that the window
manager chose for it initially.

I know that it it the window manager's job to decide where to put
the windows (hence the name), so I wonder if there are any
accepted standard methods for this purpose. The GTK docs mention
things about roles and window manager hints, but they don't seem
to work. Could it be that my favourite WM (fvwm) is particularly
braindead in this respect?

--Daniel