RE: beginners question

I found pkg-config and installed it on my machine. Now I can call
(standlone) the executable in the following form:

        pkg-config  --libs  --cflags gtk+-2.0

and I receive this information (I formatted the info a little):

I can find the header-files in /opt/gnome/include/gtk-2.0 so everything
should be fine, because this path is included in the list above (=found via
pkg-config). When I compile my example I receive a message that gtk/gtk.h is
not found.

Can you please give me another tip.