How to realize the undo function in a sketchbook application?

Hi, all

I am now writing a sketchbook application, and by using multiple GdkPixmaps I want to implement the Redo and Undo functions. It is simple to record down every stroke a user made, but if the strokes are overlapping each other, the later pixmaps would cover the previous one. And since there is no transparent color in gtk+, the option of changing color in graphics contexts is not viable.
Please give me a suggestion on it...
Thanks :)

Regards,
hamb