How to write a GtkCellRenderer-version of a GtkOptionMenu?

Greetings everybody!

I am trying to figure out how to go about writing a custom cell-renderer. Initially I assumed that there is a a dedicated cell-renderer for a GtkOptionMenu. Unfortuately there isn't. Also the custom cell-renderers implemented for programs like "Mr Project" are not kind of widget I need.

After googleing around the web and looking at the source-code of gtk+, gtkmm and mrproject I didn't get any real clue how to go about writing my own custom cell-renderer. It's just code "into your face" without any explanation. The chapter on GtkCellRenderer of the gtk+-manual isn't very informative either. Also the book on "gtk+/gnome application development" (http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/ggad.html) doesn't include any kind of introduction on writing your own cell-renderers. The gtk+-tutorial available at http://www.gtk.org/tutorial also doesn't cover cell-renderers in any way.

Don't get me wrong here. I don't mind reading manuals, but a more dedicated documentation on this topic would really be helpful imho. I refuse to believe that it is that hard to write a custom cell-renderer based on parts that are available already (GtkCellRenderer and GtkOptionMenu).

If you know of any documentation that gives a proper introduction to writing custom cell-renderers, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your time and kind advice!

Best regards...

Mirco