Re: gtk+-2.2.1 installation problem

  You have to get the lates GTK, don't bother with 2.0.6, it is a bit to old
now.

  The installation sequesce is:

  1) glib
  2) atk
  3) pango
  4) gtk

   Some other libraries might be needed, check the dependencies directory on
the download ftp server.

  trying installing them on a directory you have control of: (At least this is
what I do when getting new stuff -- you never know when existing stuff will
break because an upgrade :)

  Here is what I do, and it has helped me solve a lot of problems:

  1) untar glib; cd to glib dir.
  2) ./configure --prefix=/opt/GTK2.2.1  (since this is the latest)
  3) make && make install

  4) cd /opt/GTK2.2.1/lib ; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     ( I am not sure what the env. var for solaris is since I do not have
solaris.)
  5) cd /opt/GTK2.2.1/lib/pkgconfig; export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PWD:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

   6) CD /opt/GTK2.2.1/bin; export PATH=$PWD:$PATH

   7) cd to the dowload area, install atk, then pango, then gtk -- from his
pint on, it should be easy.

  Let me know if you still have problems.

Harring.

--- Raheel <raheel khan hotpop com> wrote:
hi ....... I am new to this list.
I am facing problems in installing gtk+-2.2.1 on my sun-sparc box (solaris
8.0)
I have installed glib-2.0.6 , atk, expat library and fontconfig. The last
thing I want to install is pango. But, when i did ./configure for pango, it
complains that it didn't find 'fontconfig' library. One more amazing thing
that occurs on my box is that pango also complains that it didn't find glib
as well. Actually, it says that it requires a newer version of glib; a
version of 2.0.3 or better is required. I don't know why it happens with me.
My LD_LIBRARY_PATH has '/usr/local/lib' in it and PKG_CONFIG_PATH contains
'/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'.
I think that there is some issue with environment settings OR it has
something to do with the sequence of things installed, i.e. first installed
'atk' then 'glib'.......something like that. You know i am hanging around all
this since 2 months and gtk is still not installed on my machine. plzzzz help
me......... i am really so much tired.
i hope somebody out there will help me.

Raheel.