help for not "Match all word only" in search feature

dear sir/madam:
in Microsoft word and many application of windows, there is "search" feature which we could find some string in text.
how about the "wildcard".
i want use
char * strstr(A_string, test_string)
   for "match all word only":
how about many wildcards just like following?
*       for any number of any char(s)
[a-h]   for any a to h char
\<      for first head
etc.
could you tell me the code that search a A_string by another string with wildcard? I find there is no this feature in abiword and gedit. through gnumoric contains this feature. it is not for wild but for a complete word.
thank a lot for your attention
xn