Re: Window Decorations

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 03:38, SkyRat23 aol com wrote:
Hello.  Pardon for the quick succession of questions/problems.  I haven't even got an answer to my first
one and I already have another.   I hope no one minds.

Simply put, I want to do something like xmms and other programs have done with their title bar.
I do not want the WM to uses it default settings.  I would like control over the borders (to erase them)
and to be able to select my own configuration of buttons (ie maximize is not needed by my application)
even use my own images so the titlebar integrates into my program.  Again, something like XMMS is
what I am looking for.  I trudged through as much xmms source code (not to mention a lot of google) as
I could looking for the details but was unable to find anything.  Could someone please inform me how
to go about customizing the titlebar, or if so required setting the window decorations off and making
a pusedo titlebar.

Here is the line you want
gdk_window_set_decorations(mainwin->window, 0);

Take a look in the main.c source file in the xmms directory.  The
interesting parts are mainwin_create, mainwin_create_widgets and
mainwin_create_gtk.

On a side note I am sure you have a good reason for wanting your own
windows decorations.  I would like you to consider that UI wise this is
a realy bad idea.  It takes away from the consistency that Gnome is
trying hard to keep.  Not only that, any skinned app would have to work
hard to be consistent with every theme people would want to use.  I
don't use XMMS because the fonts are too small on most resolutions.
XMMS is largly there due to its history.  Apps today should not follow
its example and hopfully apps like RhythmBox will replace it in the
future.

--
J5