Re: main loop, threads and so on?

On Tuesday 10 Jun 2003 10:11 am, Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
Am 2003.06.07 21:27 schrieb(en) Ian Bell:
On Saturday 07 Jun 2003 5:21 pm, Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
Hello,

Where can I find a good manual, tutorial to understand how the

mainloop

is working, what all the things of

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-The-Main-Event-Loop.html

are doing?

How I can work with that.

In my special case I have a function which has nothing todo with the
gui to call, but the function calling that function must wait until

it

is finished.  It takes long time, so the gui is not responsible for

the

user.  so my function (which is calling the function) has to run in

the

backgound.

Probably the most elegant way to do this is to run the function in its
own
thread.

I'll try that.  What do I have to do?

Now you have me.  I know threads is the solution in this case as I have seen
it said many times before.  As yet I have never had to use them so I am
afraid I cannot help with implementation details.

Ian