utf text in a GtkTextView

Hi,
 I have a GtkTextBuffer (which is attached to a GtkTextView) into which
I can insert text. However when I insert some text from a UTF8 encoded
file I get the error

(gtkcdlabel:3136): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktextbuffer.c: line 543
(gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert): assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len,
NULL)' failed

Now as far as I know the text was UTF8 encoded - is there anyway to
determine the encoding of a text file?

Do I need to use any special GTK function to insert different encodings?
Or is this something that is supposed to be managed outside of GTK

(I'm using GTK2)

Thanks,

Rajarshi Guha <rajarshi presidency com> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE
The most important statistic for car manufacturers is autocorrelation.